At Braces and Smiles - Queens NY Best Orthodontist for Invisalign & Braces we love Halloween!! However, we feel it is important to educate parents and patients of the potential problems that can occur if orthodontic patients don’t pay attention to our foods to avoid list.
American Association of Orthodontics (AAO) is offering FIVE TIMELY TIPS to protect braces, aligners and other orthodontic “appliances” while also protecting teeth from decay.
That’s why the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) offers these five timely tips to protect braces, aligners and other orthodontic “appliances” while protecting teeth from decay.
- Avoid sticky situations with your braces and aligners. Stay away from hard, sticky, crunchy or chewy candy and snacks. These include caramel, gummies, licorice, taffy, bubblegum (even the sugarless kind), jelly beans and soft drinks.
- Say “boo” to hard treats – including hard-shelled peanut candies, nuts or nut-filled candies, taco chips and popcorn (especially unpopped kernels). Whether in orthodontic treatment or not, no one should ever chew ice.
- Brush up! Sweets can cause cavities, which means brushing and flossing are more important than ever during the Halloween season. Orthodontic patients should be especially vigilant about brushing and flossing after consuming sugary or starchy foods.
- Spooktacular news: Not all Halloween candy is off-limits. Good alternatives include soft chocolates, peanut butter cups or other melt-in-your-mouth varieties. The AAO even offers orthodontic-friendly recipes for Halloween on its website at http://www.mylifemysmile.org/recipes.
- Make a commitment to oral health. Deciding to avoid hard and chewy sweets before the Halloween season increases your rate of success — and reduces the likelihood that you’ll break braces
Watch this video put out a few years ago by the American Association of Orthodontics with additional “Halloween Brace Tips” for consumers.